Documentary about how Kente Cloth is woven
Besides Kente Cloth, there are various other types of African Frabrics and Textiles. These cloths are generally hand made and require a lot of patience and creativity. Below are some other creative and beautiful types of fabric from Africa you will love:
Kente Cloth is a hand-woven in Ghana and is traditionally worn by people of royalty due to its cost and complexity. See Kente Cloth for additional information.
To teach children about Kente cloth:
- First, explain to them what the different colors of Kente cloth symbolize.
- Next explain to them what the different patterns mean.
- Write down these meanings on the blackboard so that they can remember.
- Now provide them with crayons and paper and ask them to draw the kente cloth they would like to wear (this will help them internalize the meaning of the colors and symbols and relate it to their own lives).
- Have them show the class the Kente cloth they have designed and explain the meaning of the different colors and symbols they have chosen and why they chose them.
- You may want to display their Kente Cloth Art around the classroom or around the blackboard as a border.
Alternatively, you may print out a free Kente Cloth Coloring Book for children to use in creating their own Kente Cloth.